Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Cook that Can't Eat: Chelsea Wheeler



We often crave things that are so far out of our hemispheres that the continued desire will ultimately result in excessive amounts of dissatisfaction with the lives we lead. Yet, that truth doesn't seem to hinder us from developing and chasing our dreams like children. This evening I read an article about a child with a tremendous, glorious, farfetched, wish-upon-a-star worthy desire. I'd like to talk to you about Chelsea Wheeler.

Chelsea is 10 and has some crazy health issues! According to the CNN article, she's been diagnosed with: mitochondrial disease, tachycardia and intestinal pseudo-obstruction. Big words, I know, but basically she can't eat food and her intestines have failed, she has an energy production problem and an overactive heartbeat. This kid has to wear a backpack full of intravenous food for 16 hours every day and, here's the knockout part, she wants to be a chef and open her own diner!

Chelsea's situation is far more difficult than most of us could ever imagine.  In fact, she's currently in need of a small bowel transplant.  Given the intensity and rarity of her ailments it'd be easy to understand a significant level of depression however she seems amazingly calm. She says, "I'm all messed up, but you know, I just have to wait for my transplant, and then most medical things will go away." She is certain that she will be healed and that one day she will be able to eat the food she so dearly loves to prepare.

I wonder, if I were without hands, let’s say, and I felt God’s call on my life to write, would I have the courage to pursue that dream or would I listen to the world telling me that it’s impossible? It makes me curious about this little girl (she’s the same age as my eldest son), has she heard His still small voice gently coercing her to learn everything she can about the culinary arts so that she can indeed someday attain that heart desire? Her parents say that she spends all her free time watching the cooking channels. She’s so convinced that she will open a diner that she’s named it and even come up with its niche, "You don't need to be a millionaire to eat there every night," she says as her eyes light up, "but you will feel like a millionaire when you eat there."

I guess what’s kind of awe-inspiring here is that Chelsea is so sick there’s a huge chance she may not make it the six months to three years she’ll have to wait for a transplant and yet it hasn’t hindered her goal oriented thought processes in the least. It chides me, it berates me and it shames me because I so readily make excuses not to do things that I am wholly capable of achieving for the glory of my Savior. I suppose it would behoove me to pray for less chicken-little-ness and more Chelsea-Wheeler-ness!

No comments:

Post a Comment